

Like I have mentioned earlier Holly plays rugby. What side of the family that comes from is up for debate. Some say my side because I am from Canada and rugby is big in Canada-I guess if you have to blame it on someone you might as well blame it on the Canadians.
Most of the team is made up of girls that have never played much organized sports before. They just came home one day and told their parents "I am going to play rugby!", just like Holly did, and you find yourself asking rugby, what's rugby. I even saw a "Rugby for Dummies" book that I was tempted to buy to learn all about rugby.
It has been quite interesting and fun to watch her play. You really do get into the sport and find yourself yelling out comments like "Tackle her!!" "Push her back!" "Go, go, go!!" and saying things like "Ooooh and ouch" when they get hit. You grimace a little when you see your girl on the ground in fetal position with other girls surrounding her using their feet to try and kick the ball out. Undoubtedly some of the "kicks" miss and they come up a little bruised, but still breathing and on to the next "scrum".Holly and her friends are fiercely proud of their bruises!
It also takes some getting use to because you expect the whistle to blow astopping the play when the ball is down on the ground. You want to yell at the girls because they keep trying to grap at the ball and kick and push the ball backwards to one of her team mates who picks up the ball and the play continues on. Holly has had two "trys" this season (same thing as a touch down). She was very excited. Luckily I was there for one and Brent got to see the other. We are very proud of her because we can now say that we have a STATE CHAMPION in our home, a 2-time STATE CHAMPION to be exact. Not many people can say that. She worked hard and played hard too. Congratulations Holly on being a STATE Champion. But then Holly has always been a "champ" to us!!!
Like I said Holly and rugby, "go figure that one out".



No comments:
Post a Comment